If you have been following my instagram account you have probably noticed a few photos of sunny beaches and summer salads lately. The reason for this sudden change of season is my recent move from one side of the world to the other. I’ve left Germany’s grey winter and snowy days behind to live in one of my favourite cities in the world: Sydney. It was something I was long looking forward to and am very happy to have done. With a change of climate often comes a change in diet, so instead of featuring stew or soup, today’s recipe is a healthy, sugar-free summer treat: Coconut Cinnamon Ice Cream Pops.
Growing up ice cream was a very special treat. On family vacations my parents would make sure to limit our ice cream consumption to one a day, mainly to keep my sister and me from throwing a sugar-induced fit in the car. So when the special moment of the day had come I was always extremely excited and it took me approximately 1.23 minutes to demolish the precious delight.
These days I would like to think I have at least a little more self-control. But these sugar- and dairy-free Coconut Cinnamon Ice Cream Pops are so delicious, it is needless to say they don’t last very long in my household today either. However, packed with good fats and without any added nasties they won’t give you the usual after-sugar slump and thus make for a perfect guilt-free summer treat. And if you waited to long they would melt anyway, right?
- 250 ml coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons almond butter OR any other nut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence OR ½ teaspoon ground vanilla
- a few drops of stevia or 2 tablespoons of rice malt syrup
- pinch of salt
- Optional: cacao nibs or chopped dark chocolate
- Put the coconut cream and coconut oil in a saucepan and heat-up slightly until the coconut oil melts and mixes well with the cream.
- Let the mixture cool down for a few minutes.
- Stir in the almond butter and the remaining ingredients and mix well until it has a smooth and creamy texture.
- Pour the mixture into ice-cream molds and place them in the freezer for about 2 hours.
- Take the pops out of the freezer about 10 minutes before serving.
A can of coconut cream is about 2 AUSD/ 1.50 € and if you make your own almond butter (which I highly recommend) this recipe comes out at around 0.44 AUSD/ 0.31€ per pop.
Happy thrifty cooking! – Johanna