I love the idea of packing a sweet treat with some sort of vegetable. Beetroot velvet cupcakes, sweet potato brownies, gingerbread pumpkin loaf… it seems you can have the best of both the vegetable and dessert world after all. This week I snuck in some zucchini in Chocolate Bread, making it healthy enough to devour for breakfast (and basically any other time during the day).
Chocolate is always a winner but if you can pair it with greens and end up with a delicious yet healthy treat like this sugar-, gluten- and dairy free Chocolate Zucchini Bread you know you are onto something. Packed with lots of healthy fats from almonds and coconut oil and the goodness of raw cacao you could almost call this loaf a superfood.
- 150 gram almond meal
- 2 small zucchinis, grated
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup raw cacao
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-3 tablespoon honey/ brown rice syrup - depending on taste
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup chopped almonds as topping
- optional: vanilla extract, chocolate chips, chopped walnuts etc.
- Preheat the oven at 200°C.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Put the batter into a small rectangle shaped baking form and top with chopped almonds.
- Bake at 200° C for about 35-40 minutes — or until the fork comes out clean when sticking it into the loaf.
- Allow it cool for about 20 minutes before cutting it into slices.
- Serve with coconut butter or almond butter, some banana slices and drizzled honey.
The bread is fine for about 5 days in the fridge and a couple of weeks in the freezer. I usually freeze the slices in single portions and toast them to defrost them for breakfast.
This recipe makes for a perfect mid-morning or afternoon snack with a cup of coffee, dessert or even breakfast. I like to serve mine with almond butter, a few slices of banana, chopped nuts, cinnamon and drizzled honey.
Happy thrifty cooking! – Johanna